Monday, October 10, 2016

John 21 - Restored to Service











A third time Jesus revealed Himself to minister to His friends.
Clearly the devil through he had brought their ministry to an end.
But worldly appearance and God’s good plan often contradict
Christ would restore fearful men, these leaders He had handpicked.

He found them fishing just off the shore of the Tiberias Sea.
Fishing all night without a catch, their nets empty as could be.
Jesus told Peter to cast his net on the other side of the boat.
They pulled up the nets so full of fish; the boat could barely float.

Jesus cooked the fish that day and served the morning meal.
This third appearance the Lord had planned His purpose to reveal.
After breakfast Jesus asked Peter, “Do you love me true?”
Peter turned with grateful heart, said, “Lord, you know that I do.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs” denoting Peter’s life call.
The apostle wondered how this could be in light of his great fall.
A second time Jesus repeated, “Simon, do you love me?”
Peter affirmed and Jesus said, “Peter, feed My sheep.”

A third time Jesus said to him, “Is your love for me strong and true?”
Peter replied, “My love is true. You know for certain I do.”
Two times now Peter heard the Lord say, “Peter, Tend My Sheep.”
His spirit broken by his shame, he shook with sorrow and grief.

Jesus then said, “Feed my sheep as I lead you day by day.
No longer will you do your own thing; I will empower you as you pray.
All the way until you die, trust me without reservation.
Fulfill the work given you until your earthly graduation.”

Three times Peter denied the Lord in the throes of intimidation.
Three time the Lord called him again ensuring his consecration.
How many times have we failed the Lord? Too many for us to count.
How thankful I am there is no sin, too great for Christ to surmount.

About that time John drew near and Peter asked of him too.
He was rebuked about his desire to know what John would do.
The same is true even today: for each child God has a plan.
Our greatest goal is to follow Christ as a Spirit-transformed man.

This closes the Gospel according to John, an account of Christ divine
Who sits at the right hand of the Father and in our hearts full time.
It’s NOT for me to demand of God His plan for someone I know.
It IS for me to be a vessel through whom His Spirit can flow.

Let us like Peter follow the Lord all the days of our life.
Let none of them be governed again by jealousy or strife.
Let us lean upon His care and trust in His daily provision.
Let it be said we were faithful and true to the heavenly vision.

© Copyright 2016 George M. Cuff, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment