Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Church at Sardis

Revelation 3:1-8

Your church is in a bad situation when it doesn’t live up to its reputation.
Suffering Smyrna received Christ’s praise; not much good about Sardis to say.
Though it was known for its spiritual deeds, this church was found to be in need.
Only a few would be dressed in white, for all the others abandoned the fight.

The church is not called to a time of ease; its mission is not the flesh to appease.
The church is charged the truth to proclaim, not to live their lives in vain.
Sardis must throw off sin’s chains, repent and strengthen what remains.
This is how she turns the tide, becomes to Christ a worthy bride.

How are things in your church, my friend? Does it have a heart to contend?
Is there zeal, life and joy? Does it pick up the sword, God’s Word, to employ?
Is there a heart to please the Lord or is His message largely ignored?
I’d rather be Smyrna and suffer pain than to be Sardis and be ashamed.


Revelation 3:1-6
1 "To the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. 3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

4 Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels. 6 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (NIV)

© Copyright George M. Cuff, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment